Saturday, 7 May 2011

Amazeballs!

Isn't it amazing what you can learn from the internet? 

Many of the fibre craft skills I use to make my weird wares, I have learnt by watching video tutorials posted by other craftoholics. In this feature I'll show you a few examples of items I have listed in my new 'Handmade Supplies' shop section, and I'll also share with you some of the videos I used to learn the basic techniques.

Here are some crochet balls I made using the skills of amigurumi (a Japanese style of tight single crochet).  They are stuffed with polyester filling so they are soft and squishy! I am going to make lots more in different colours. Wouldn't they look lovely as part of some fibre jewellery, or used as buttons? 




I also made these flower appliques, using some yummy high-quality leftover yarns. I LOVE projects that use up my yarn scraps! 
# Remember you're a Womble... #




I used a tiny hook and embroidery yarn, and adapted the pattern to four petals, to make these extra-small flowers. These ones are for embellishing a project I'm working on, although I might make some to sell too.




TRY IT YOUSELF!

Of course I'd love it if you bought my handmade supplies from my Etsy shop. But I don't mind sharing some of my trade secrets! Here are some videos I watched when I was first learning to crochet. In both cases (as I often do) I have adapted the patterns slightly to fit my own particular way of doing things.

Here is a video of how to make an amigurumi cherry. It has a very clear demonstration of how to start off neatly with the 'magic circle'. My crochet balls are similar, except that on the reducing row I reduce every other stitch instead of every stitch, so I don't get a row of holes, and then sew it up when I get down to 9 stitches instead of 6.



This video shows how to make a crochet flower, and also includes how to add layers of petals. My flowers are similar, except that when starting each new petal on the second row, I tend to do a slip stitch and then straight on to the 6 petal stitches, instead of slip stitch and chain 1. I think this makes the petals look a bit more defined.




Here are those useful links for you again:

Weird Wares, my Etsy shop

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I love the little crochet balls! I would use them on belly dancing costumes.

    ReplyDelete